Thursday, November 7, 2013

In The Right Direction

**DAY 29 POST TRANSPLANT & 36 STRAIGHT DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL**

     These last six days have been some of the most spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting that I have ever experienced in my life.  They have compared quite equally to those first few weeks that we found out the our little Hazelnut had cancer, and I never thought I would experience anything like that again.  I have been praying very specifically over these last days, but maybe not in the way you think.  Of course I have begged for my daughter's life, but Aaron and I have also had the understanding that it is not in  the doctor's our our control, but only in His.  He has given us so much assurance that whatever happens with Hazel, be it she beats this thing or that it takes her life, that He has a bigger plan and we get to be a part of it.  Whatever the outcome, we have complete faith that it would give Him the most glory and that Hazel and we could celebrate with Him in that.  But aside from imploring God on our daughter's behalf, I just simply asked Him to make His presence known; to just show up.  The first few days I felt so alone and my faith and hope that I have clung to were tested and shaken.  But my God is an AWESOME God, and boy did He deliver!!  The very next day, after tearfully saying this prayer, we became inundated by all of your messages of prayer, faith and encouragement.  Hazel's page has gained almost 30,000(!!) new followers and we know that she is being lifted up in all corners of the world!  This has been such an encouragement, and I don't think you can understand what it means unless you've been where we are, so thank you from the bottom of my heart!
     He has also revealed Himself in so many small ways over these last six days, and one really sticks out.  My father-in-law, Jerry, was out to lunch with a friend, and they were talking about Hazel.  His friend had literally just finished saying "She is going to get through this thing" when Jerry opened up a fortune cookie and read this:


Now, I am not one to take stock in what I read on my fortune cookie, and I do not presume to know that this must have been a message from God.  But I do believe, with all of my heart, that He used this little message on a piece of paper to speak to our family, in order to bring us hope.  And each day He has continued to give us more hope, when only a few days ago I thought there was little or none to be had.
     Hazel's condition continues to be serious, but so many little things are improving and continue to lead us in the right direction.  For the first time, the doctors seem to have more hope than concern and seem to have a much more positive outlook for her.  Here is what is happening:
  • The CVVH machine is doing exactly what it is meant to do, and her body is tolerating it well.  Hazel cam in with so much extra fluid on her body (about 9.5 pounds of it!) that her normal 50cm belly has been measuring about 65 cm!!!  Over the last few days it has come down, and today I am happy to report that it measured at 56cm!  Our God is working miracles!!!
  • Because the fluid is being removed, her lungs are improving every day.  The X-rays she has been having every morning have revealed less and less fluid retention and they continue to go down on the ventilator and she is even taking several breaths on her own!  She will most likely remain on the ventilator the entire time she is on the CVVH machine, but this is a good thing.  It is allowing her body time to remain stable and rest so that God can heal it.
  • The ultrasounds on her kidneys have revealed that nothing has gotten worse, and the labs that tell us how they are functioning keep going down, which is a sign of improvement.  We had another ultrasound done today, but we still have yet to receive the results.
  • Her bilirubin has remained stable and has not increased dramatically (the sign of liver failure) and her labs indicating liver function continue to look good!
  • The BK virus levels in her blood keep going down, so hopefully she will kick this virus soon!  She is still having some discomfort and there are still problems with the clots in her bladder; but until her fluid levels are under control, there is not much for urology to do except keep an eye on it. That is one thing I have learned over this last month, that there is so much "watching & waiting" and it drives me crazy!  I have to constantly remind myself that God is in control!
  • The doctors believe that in about 3-5 days time, they will have removed the extra fluid from her body and will begin trying to take her off the machine to see if her kidneys and liver are strong enough to do their job once more.  So hopefully, we will have a lot more concrete details and answers at that time.
     The last two days have been filled with so much more peace and hopeful news.  Please pray that we continue to stay in this "right direction" and that she will make a full recovery!

62 comments:

  1. Thank goodness!!! Sending more and more love and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad she's going in the right direction! I have been praying so hard for her to beat this thing she can beat it and I know it! I think our faith is being tested and we are coming through with flying colors! Prayers and blessings that she continues to be improving and peace for you knowing that when you feel you're going to falter we will help you walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this news! We will keep praying for your family from Colorado!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ephesians 3:20, "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us," We ask not just for a healing but a healing so miraculous that our God can not be denied by anyone that witnesses it! Prayers, Love and Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always in my thoughts and prayers, God bless Hazel and her family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise God!! everyday I look for a post from you I'm praying for sweet hazelnut every miniute. I know she will beat this she's a worrier

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prayers continue from the St. Louis area. I cannot fathom your stress--She is so adorable--I hope and pray you will have her home soon and getting stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in tears right now. Thank you for updating everyone on Hazel. She's not even my daughter and my stomach has been in knots daily thinking of her and you. WE are behind you this whole time and we will continue to support you. Keep fighting, Hazel! You got this little one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All good news! Holding your family up in daily prayers for strength, healing & blessings from Maryland!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayer upon prayer, lifting Hazel and your whole family up. God Bless and continued prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hazel is in my prayers! I donated blood yesterday and thought about your sweet little girl the whole time, I have faith that everything will work out for Hazelnut! God bless you and your family,
    Lots of Love,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great news!!! We are so happy to hear she is improving daily and she will keep improving. The power of prayer is unending and the strength of your little girl is incredible. We are continuing to send love, prayers and healing energy her way! Keep fighting sweet princess! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy your little hazelnut is improving every day. Prayers work miracles.I'll keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm praying daily for Hazel, and your family. God is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praise God!! Answering our prayers for precious Hazel XOXO
    please read 1 Peter 4:12-19. GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hugs and prayers for Hazel's continued healing! I have always believed that God shows how He cares for us on a daily basis if you pay attention. We don't always know what is in store for us but through faith it isn't scary cuz we know we aren't alone. He is always with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing this update.....prayers continue to flow from NH

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been checking every day to see if there was an update on sweet Hazel. Last night, I had a peace come over me, and I knew in my heart that when you did get a chance to update it was going to be good news. And it is ... and I feel so sure that it is going to get better, and better and better until Hazel is doing cartwheels! God is receiving so many prayers for Hazel and your family, that He had to let you know--the posts from us let you know that He is getting all the prayers we are sending, and the fortune cookie is to let you know He has a sense of humor too :) The message is a happy one... before you know it, you will hear the sweet, sweet sound of Hazel's laughter! Oh how I pray God could give me her pain. I am sending her all my strength today, and sending my love and support for your entire family! Chin up, and keep the faith! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love you!!!!! God loves you, and people around the world love you and your family... I am so grateful and very thoughtful every time you share the smallest of details. You are like the Trojan, leading us into battle, and I grateful to take up the sword by your sides. May your daughter heal completely, and may our good Lord lift each one of you up and rejuvenate you. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Prayers for Hazel, and family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Praise God! Continued prayers for complete restoration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Prayers for that beautiful baby girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Been waiting for an update and lifted by this positive news of improvement in hazel's condition, albeit minor….its all positive and amazed by the fortune cooke reading. everything is a sign for sure. keep strong baby girl..we are all behind you and sending lots of love and big hugs xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was at Childrens Hospital today. There are many there who have Hazel in their prayers. Hazel along with her Mom & Dad are in my prayers. May He give her comfort and Bless your family with her complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  25. God Is Great ! Lauren, your family, especially Hazel, Have been in my prayers since the minute Lore & Christian told me your story.... I continue to pray for you all.... Keep the Faith !! <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is very encouraging news. God has wrapped his arms around little Hazel and working miracles. It is always so nice to hear good news about America's sweet girl. The day I look forward to is when you post that beautiful Hazel smile! God Bless you all. Please let us know how the rest of the family are doing. They to are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well Lauren and Aaron and Linda and Mike and the rest of your family. Your prayers though not completely answered yet, have news of restoration in Hazels well being. Your prayers along with the rest of ours are a thing of beauty. This child is a person of interest in God's house. The angels are saying her name and for that Hazel is improving. We hope and Pray that this news continues to be a positive movement towards total recovery. Thinking and praying for you daily Hazel. You to Lauren, Keep strong as I know you will. Craig

    ReplyDelete
  28. You and your sweet one is never far from my thoughts. You are an incredible mother, parent and know that you are not alone. The energy of love, prayer are always in the air here and there always. The universe is with you and Hazel and as we accerlate our prayers so will the healing for whatever comes your way we are here As always in loving, Jennifer Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am still praying for you little lady. My two boys are also. We check your page daily sometimes more for updates and to see that beautiful smile of yours. I can NOT imagine the stress as a parent to also be going through this. Look for signs, because signs are always around us. I am glad to hear she is improving. Much love, hugs, and smiles and most of all prayers---Joe, Sara, Wyatt, and Sawyer

    ReplyDelete
  30. We love your little Hazel. I wear her bracelet everyday, and think of her so often. I imagine her in a beautiful white healing light. Please try and keep positive thoughts mama. Our positive healing energy can only help your beautiful sweet girl through this test of life. God bless your little Hazel, God bless you mama, and God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Deus é glorioso e permitirá a Hazel uma recuperação conpketa e uma vida só de alegrias. Sem dores e com muita fé. Acompanho diariamente o blog por notícias da pequena Hazel, pois me sensibilizei pelo caso dela e ela está me ensinando muita coisa. Mais do que o que nós adultos podemos ensinar. Ela irá superar este momento e será uma criança completa e uma mulher incrível abencoada por Deus. Minhas orações estão com Hazel e família. Fiquem em paz e creiam que tudo vai passar. Con carinho Izabel canavese (Brasil)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Praying for your sweet baby girl and your family from Boston

    ReplyDelete
  33. Continuing to pray for your strength in the inner man. We will always rejoice in Christ no matter what the outcome, but I sincerely hope and pray she continues on the right track and gets well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The power of prayer!!!! Need I say more? I will continue to pray for you all!!!! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are a truly amazing women of tremendous faith. Don't know if I could say the same of myself if I were "in your shoes," but you inspire me. Hazel, you and your family are in my prayers all day, every day. May the Lord bless you and keep you in his loving care.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Praying for your sweet baby girl & your entire family from Calgary, AB, Canada....

    ReplyDelete
  37. what an amazing woman you truly are God truly did bless Hazel with a special mommy I pray that I would be as strong as you are I will always keep Hazel in my prayers and pray she continues to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Praise Jesus! Our Lord holds your entire family in his Grace and Love and will continue to HEAL and lift you up for he is an awesome and loving God!!!! I will continue to pray for your sweet baby girl and your entire family. Stay strong! <3

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am so glad to hear she is moving in the right direction!!! My continued prayers and strong healing thoughts are sent to your sweet little Hazel and to your entire family!!! I will be looking forward to more wonderful updates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I don't know you but I know Jeannette who has kindly put your story on FB so people can pray. I AM PRAYING! I don't pretend to know or even come close to know what you are going through but I CAN and do feel it in my soul. You have the BEST, the right heart attitude about entrusting our Father to her care, even in the midst of your horrible circumstances, YOU STILL trust Him, you still give God the glory and you still seek His answers. My heart goes out to you ALL, especially little beautiful Hazel. God is always good, He DOES have a plan and I'm so thankful you trust that plan for Hazel's life. I am a believer, I'm a praying person, I love, love LOVE God but I'm not sure I would fare so well given your situation, then maybe I would. Either way, know that I personally will continue to pray for your precious baby, for your family, for peace and God's healing hand. I don't know you, but I love your baby and as a sister in Christ, I love you too. God bless you all. I will continue to check FB for updates by Jeannette. You have a very loving lady to care enough to post. Thank you Jeannette.

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's sounding much better on Hazel's behalf. So happy for you. Little by little, it all adds up to RECOVERY.

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are such an amazingly strong Mommy, you are such an inspiration to me and many others. I found your fb page 2 nights ago and spent that night in amazement as i read every word youve written and looked at every picture youve posted. Your precious little Hazelnut is such an inspiration and such a strong little fighter too!! Im so happy to know things are improving and i want you to know all of little Hazelnuts prayer warriors are praying lots and sending tons of love you alls way. Our God is an amazing God and he stands by our side, holding our hand guiding us through life and all its battles. Your faith in him is absolutely amazing as is your strength. My prayers and love will keep coming, stay strong, amazing and courageous Little Hazelnut and Mommy! God Bless precious little Hazelnut and family :-) We love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  43. We are praying for and love you guys! - Josh & Kate

    ReplyDelete
  44. So happy to hear of her improvements. Still praying daily for her and all of you here in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Sending love, hope and many prayers your way! So happy to hear that she is doing better! I can't wait to see her smiling face on a future post!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sending you a warm beam of sunlight right from our heart. Just keep praying en thinking of Hazel's beautiful smiling face all the time. Love from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  47. So happy to read this post! Have been praying for Hazel...and will continue!

    ReplyDelete
  48. So happy to read this update!! Prayers continue from Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Praise the Lord!!! May He continue to touch you and reveal His presence in the midst of Hazel's recovery. We love all of you...the prayers and love coming from all corners of the world are a miracle in and of itself! Oh how I wish I were there to give you all a great big hug. My heart goes out to you and your little angel. May the Lord continue to hear the prayers and your cries for Hazel.

    God Bless you,
    With Love and Prayers,

    ReplyDelete
  50. Praise God! Prayers daily from our family for sweet little Hazel, we have also seen God work in miraculous ways with our son's cancer diagnosis in the past few weeks. Keep the faith, it's a powerful feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Praise God. I am so happy for you and Hazel. Katie and I will continue to pray for Hazel. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  52. This is such a wonderful thing, & God's will be done.. in Jesus name I ask that you heal this beautiful little girl! Give her life that so many people take for granted. Wrap Your arms around her & her family at this time and take this sickness right from her, Lord! We believe that if You bring them to it, You can get them through it. She will be healed soon & you all will become much stronger because of all this. Lots of love from Michigan! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  53. I know that God is with you and your sweet girl at every moment of every day. He will see to her healing and recovering. He's holding her hand through all of this. Please know that this will turn out in the best way possible. I'm sending kisses to you and your sweet girl, as well as the rest of the family. <3










































    ReplyDelete
  54. Iam. So happy for your family my prays our with your whole. Family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Sending prayers from Missouri!! Can't imagine what you're going through!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Prayers from the Parys family in Sierra Madre. We love Hazel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I bet Hazel had a great day today! Sending all my strength to her, and love and prayers to all of you! <3

    ReplyDelete