Monday, July 8, 2013

Doing Better

    Just another quick update:  Hazel is still at the hospital, with Aaron, and is feeling much better!  Her mouth sores never got any worse and her fever went away very quickly.  After her blood transfusion, she perked right up! Her platelets also dropped, so she also had to get a platelet transfusion. Even after these transfusions, her counts are still low and have only been slowly climbing.  As soon as they are high enough, they can come home!  So please pray these counts can jump up so we can all be together!  We sure are missing her smile, but love it when we get to see pictures like these:


    It is in these moments that I see how strong our little Hazelnut is.  As adults, if we were in a hospital bed like her, I think we would be wallowing in self-pity, but not our champ.  She, by God's grace and strength, is finding the unadulterated joy in each day and just continues on being a kid.  I look at this face with tears in my eyes because she doesn't fully understand everything else in this picture, but just is enjoying that moment.  I love her so much...

    Here are some verses that I have read, that come to mind when I see this picture: 
  • Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones"
  • Jesus said in John 16:33 " These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me, you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."
  • Romans 5:3-5 "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."



    I also wanted to congratulate Courtney on winning the puppy that was raffled off for Hazel's Fund!  She has decided to name the puppy Hazel and we couldn't be more touched and honored.  We know she is going to a good home and has tons of animal buddies to play with!




**FOR MORE WAYS TO HELP GO TO Here To Serve AND CLICK ON THE PARTICIPATE/VOLUNTEER BUTTON TO LOGIN TO HAZEL'S CARE COMMUNITY**

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Lauren! We couldn't love Hazel May more! I already have so many people offering to babysit her for me and wanting play dates! We are sure going to be busy. ;) So glad to hear Hazelnut is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of Hazel laughing is so infectious! Love her spirit and strength. So excited for Courtney.....Hazel puppy has gone to such a loving family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd been hoping for an update like this since the entry on the 4th. I'm glad that things are looking up and you have my prayers that Hazelnut can go home very soon!

    - Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joyful spirit your beautiful girl has! She is teaching all of us to enjoy the moment and focus on the positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear Hazel is on the mend. I read the article in the paper and wrote you an email. Did you get it? Thought maybe it went into your spam, being from an unknown email address. Hope you have a good day.
    Mary Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a place we can send a care package for Hazel and your other children?

    -Katy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can send me an email at lkhammersley@gmail.com and I can give you some info!

      Delete
  7. Lauren, I wanted to tell you that I am Courtney's cousin and that puppy couldn't have gone to a sweeter, more loving person. Courtney is a TRUE animal lover and it must be some sort of Divine plan that she was the winner of that raffle. Please know that Hazel/puppy will always be loved and well taken of by Courtney and her family. And your sweet Hazel will never be far from our thoughts when we look at this sweet bundle of fur. Love and Light, Colleen Andersen

    ReplyDelete